Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The Case of the Hovering Bust


Okay, so my question about "The Twinkie Defense" was too easy. (Can you say Google?) Here's one that might actually require you to "leave the building," as Tom Wolfe says.  My guess is that you won't have to literally leave the building, just walk away from your laptop for a couple of minutes and talk to a few people. 

If you want to solve this little mystery, I'd like you to write up your response as a short feature story.  I'll even accept it in place of one of your news stories. Here's the catch: Only one person can complete this challenge.  The first person to email me the correct response to the questions below gains the exclusive right to cover the story.

Who exactly does the bust that hovers over our classroom represent? Why is he there? How did it get there? What were they thinking? How long has he been spying on students? Is there a camera connected to his eyes? You get the idea. Tell me all about that crazy bust in FL 302. Oh yes, I'd like to have some quotes from your sources as well...


3 comments:

Mrs. Tweet said...

The figure in our room is John Milton. It has been there since at least '69, and has likely been there since the 30s or 40s, according to Lee Piepho, retired instructor. The classroom was used for the English department, and Shakespeare used to face him. Apparently, Shakespeare was stolen in the 70s by some young men from Washington and Lee, where it now resides in one of their fraternity houses. Milton is a 17th century author who wrote poetry and is most famously known for his book, "Paradise Lost."

Greg Boyd said...

The real question is who will rescue poor Shakespeare from Washington and Lee?

Meaghan said...

that bust has been haunting me all this year. my last semester english class was in the same classroom. His lack of pupils frightens me greatly. Savvy Sweets does not approve.